Last modified: 2020-01-04 by rick wyatt
Keywords: carlouel yacht club | united states yacht club | florida |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Rob Raeside, 17 April 2019
Estb: 1934. Location: 1091 Eldorado Beach, Clearwater.
Burgee: Pennant circa 13:20 (web image). White field, fimbriated on three sides blue (outer), white, red, and charged with a blue palm tree.
Source: accessed 10 April 2019 (Image by Keefe Manwaring), https://dribbble.com/shots/362125-Carlouel-Yacht-Club
"Carlouel, founded in 1934 but not incorporated until later years, was the first of its kind in the area. Originally founded by Theron R. Palmer and Garrett A. Hobart, Carlouel began as a small cabana club. One hundred local families were invited to join, each paying one hundred dollars in annual dues. Paul F. Randolph assembled the real estate that became the Club property and adjacent home sites.
When the issue of naming the Club was discussed, it was easily solved by combining the first syllables of the names of the foundersí wives - Caroline Hobart, Louise Palmer, and Eleanor Randolph. The Club was thus named Car-lou-el."
Source: accessed 12 April 2019, http://www.carlouel.net/history
Peter Edwards, 17 April 2019