Last modified: 2015-08-21 by rick wyatt
Keywords: alpha boat club | united states yacht club | pennsylvania |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 12 May 2015
The Alpha Boat Club is listed in Lloyd's Register of American Yachts of 1917, as organised 1874 and incorporated 1877; station: Foot of Welsh Street, Chester, Pa., Delaware River.
Its burgee is depicted as a ca. 7:10 bi-colour triangle, very dark red over black, with over all a horizontal white capital A, with its bar angled flyward and the legs forming two edges of a fly lozenge over-all.
That building at the foot of Welsh street, built in the late 19th century, fell victim to the expansion of the Sun Shipbuilding Company, for the production of wartime freighters. (Postcard History Series: Chester, and Images of America: Chester, both by the Chester Historical Preservation Committee.) The club is still mentioned occasionally after the war, though, but in Lloyd's Register of American Yachts of 1963 it is no longer listed and by that time isn't mentioned any more either.
The foot of Welsh Street has disappeared altogether, with the waterfront there now being part of a complex of Kimberly-Clark.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 12 May 2015