Last modified: 2021-02-20 by rob raeside
Keywords: west midlands | kingswinford |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Philip Tibbetts, 27 March 2012
On this page:
Historically in Staffordshire, Kingswinford is mentioned in the Domesday Book. Its name literally means "a ford for the King's swine." The ancient parish of Kingswinford was paired with Amblecote in 1894 forming the Kingswinford Rural District in 1894. Between 1885-1950 it was known as the Kingswinford Parliament Constituency and became one of the few single-parish rural districts in England after Amblecote became its own urban district in 1898. In 1935, it was added to the Brierley Hill Urban District, which in turn became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley in 1966. Since 1974 Kingswinford has been part of South Staffordshire, and part of the West Midlands.
Pete Loeser, 18 February 2021
The design symbolises the origin and name of the town. The crowned boar represents the King's Swine, with the Saxon crown also denoting the age of the town. The placement of the boar on a blue field represents it fording a river to complete the allusion to the towns name. Blue is the sporting colour of the town whilst boars have often been used in civic heraldry.
The Kingswinford flag was designed by Phoebe Cresswell and Maisie Cumming and adopted 15 July 2011.
Philip Tibbetts, 27 March 2012