Last modified: 2022-07-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: aubergenville |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Aubergenville - Image by Ivan Sache, 11 March 2006
The municipality of Aubergenville (11,557 inhabitants in 2015; 883 ha; municipal website) is located in the valley of Seine, halfway between Mantes-la-Jolie and Saint-Germain-en-Laye.
Aubergenville was divided in 1672 into three domains:
- the domain of Acosta, acquired in 1661 by Monsieur de Mannevillette, who built there a castle flanked by two pavilions; in 1671, some 500 trees were planted in the park of the castle. The domain is named after Telle d'Acosta, who acquired it in 1758.
- the domain of the Garenne (lit., the warren), located near the Seine, which included a big farm transformed around 1766 into a castle.
- the domain of Montgardé, which was acquired in 1416 by the Chapter of the Notre-Dame cathedral of Paris. In the 18th century, the lords of Nézel transformed the ancient farm into a manor where they settled. Life changed in Aubergenville when the Royal road was built between Mantes and Saint-Germain. In 1781, the villagers officially complained about the layout of the new road. To avoid noise pollution, the village progressively moved away from the road and the valley.
The railway Paris-Rouen, inaugurated in 1843, significantly contributed to the industrialization of the region. In 1952, Renault opened a huge car factory in the neighbouring city of Flins and the population of Aubergenville increased fivefold within 20 years. In spite of being called Renault-Flins, the factory is located on the municipal territory of Aubergenville for 80% of its area. The site was selected because of its proximity to the river (for shipping heavy goods on barges), the railway and the road, later the highway connecting the factory with the parent company of Boulogne-Billancourt.
Ivan Sache, 11 March 2015
The flag of Aubergenville is white with the municipal logo.
Pascal Vagnat, 13 March 2006