Last modified: 2015-02-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: los llanos de aridane |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Los Llanos de Aridane, as seen on 27 January 2014 on a petrol station - Image by José Manuel Erbez, 9 February 2014
The flag of Los Llanos de Aridane (municipal website) is horizontally divided green-orange-blue with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The colours symbolize the beauty of the valley of Aridane: blue for the sky and the sea, orange for the soil, and green for the crops, such as banana plantations.
The coat of arms of Los Llanos de Aridane is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 2 February 1956 by the Spanish Government and published on 16 February 1956 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 47, p. 1,071 (text).
The coat of arms, validated by the Royal Academy of History, is not described in the Decree.
According to the municipal website, Antonio Gómez Felipe and Pedro Hernández Torres were commissioned by a Decree adopted on 21 December 1954 by the Spanish Government to draft a proposal of coat of arms. The proposal was approved on 24 March 1955 by the Municipal Council.
According to José Manuel Erbez (Banderas y escudos de Canarias, 2007; website), the coat of arms is "Per fess, 1. Azure an island or charged with a castle of the same, 2. Fessy wavy azure and argent a conch proper. A bordure argent fimbriated gules charged in turn with four Greek crosses and four Palma violets purpure. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown open.
The 1st quarter symbolizes the conquest of La Palma and its incorporation to the crown of Castile. The 2nd quarter combines the waves featured on one of the quarters of the arms of the conqueror Alonso Fernández de Lugo with the conch, a symbol of the Royal power in the Benahorita natives and of the sacrifice of their last king, Tanausú, who drowned himself into the sea rather than surrender. The Palma violet [Viola palmensis (Webb & Berthel.) Sauer], an endemic species, also refers to the native population, while the crosses allude to the evangelization of the island and to the martyrdom of a group of Jesuits killed by Huguenot privateers off Tazacorte in 1570.
Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 9 February 2014