This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Torremolinos (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Last modified: 2021-11-05 by ivan sache
Keywords: torremolinos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Torremolinos - Image from the Símbolos de Málaga website, 22 September 2016

See also:

Presentation of Torremolinos

The municipality of Torremolinos (67,492 inhabitants in 2015, therefore the 6th most populated municipality in the province; 2,000 ha) is located on the Costa del Sol, just west of Málaga.

The municipality of Torremolinos was established by Decree No. 283, adopted on 27 September 1988 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 11 October 1988 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 79, pp. 4,223-4,224 (text).
The request of separation was tabled on 30 April 1982 at the Municipality of Málaga by the association Junta Pro-Autonomía de Torremolinos. The supplied documentation recalled that Torremolinos formed an independent municipality until 1923. On 28 May and 30 July 1982, the Municipality of Málaga turned down the request and stopped the administrative process of separation. The appeal tabled by the association was accepted on 27 November 1984 by the Territorial Court of Granada. On 14 September 1986, the Municipal Council of Málaga eventually accepted the separation of Torremolinos, with the same territorial limits as before the incorporation of Torremolinos to Málaga.

Ivan Sache, 22 September 2016

Symbols of Torremolinos

The flag of Torremolinos (photo, photo, photo, photo) is horizontally divided celestial blue-white-green with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. Neither the flag nor the coat of arms appear to have been officially registered.

The coat of arms of Torremolinos shows the portal of a private house, flanked sinister by a tower with a millstone at its feet. The upper part of the shield features the sea, the sky and a yellow sun. The shield is surrounded by a bordure argent inscribed with "AYUNTAMIENTO COSTITUCIONAL DE TORREMOLINOS" in letters sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The tower represents the Mills' Towers (Torre de los Molinos), erected around 1300 by the Nasrid. The Ensenada Cadaster (1748) shows it as Torre Molinos, a name kept by the fishers' village that developed nearby.

Ivan Sache, 22 September 2016