Last modified: 2016-05-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: los santos de la humosa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Los Santos de la Humosa - Image by Ivan Sache, 26 July 2015
The municipality of Los Santos de la Humosa (2,445 inhabitants in 2014; 3,490 ha; municipal website) is located in the east of the Community of Madrid, on the border with Castilla-La Mancha (Province of Guadalajara), 50 km of Madrid and 25 km of
Los Santos de la Humosa originates in the Roman villa of Fumoso (1st-2nd century), named for the smoky environment of the banks of river Henares. The place is documented by several written and epigraphic sources; one of the military roads established by Emperor Trajan in the area of Complutum (Alcalá de Henares) crossed Fumoso.
Los Santos de la Humosa, known in 1268 as Los Sanctos de la Fumosa, was granted the status of villa at the end of the 15th century. In 1500, Nicolás García Soriano, soldier and knight of Los Santos, was commissioned to defend the village against the revolted Comuneros who headed to through the road of Carraguadalajara.
Territorial disputes with the neighbouring towns were frequent; the dispute with Alcalá and Santorcaz for the Mount of Los Santos lasted 200 years, to be settled in the favour of Los Santos by King Philip III. At the end of the 15th century, Los Santos was granted ownership of the ford of Barranco del Lobo on river Henares against Alcalá.
Ivan Sache, 26 July 2015
The flag (photos, photo) and arms of Los Santos de la Humosa (municipal website) are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 9 March 1991 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 19 August 1994 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 207, pp. 28,729-28,730 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: In proportions 2:3, red with a yellow cross, in the center the municipal coat of arms in full colours.
Coat of arms: Gules two palms or per saltire in base waves argent and azure a bordure or charged with four towers gules and four crosses of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed coat of arms, "the distinctive elements being arranged in strict compliance with the norms and acceptable style". The Academy recommended to use for the flag a yellow cross, for the sake of chromatic contrast.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1992, 189:1, 165-166]
The palms recall Sts. Justus and Pastor, who were martyred, according to the tradition, in 306; the tradition say that the saints (santos) were born in Fumosa or that the village was established on the place of their martyr. The waves represent the fertile land of the municipality, irrigated by river Henares.
The tower and the crosses recall that the village once depended on Alcalá de Henares and on the Archbishop of Toledo.
Ivan Sache, 26 July 2015