Last modified: 2015-09-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: paterna de rivera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Paterna de Rivera - Image by Ivan Sache, 30 March 2014
The municipality of Paterna de Rivera (5,667 inhabitants in 2013; 1,401 ha; municipal website) is located 50 km east of Cádiz. Paterna is one of the cradles of the Spanish fighting bull and is the cradle of the flamenco style known as petenera, magnified by the singer known as "El Perro de Paterna" (The Dog of Paterna; Antonio Pérez Jiménez, 1925-1997).
Paterna de Rivera developed in an area rich in thermal springs. The most famous and closest to the town, the Gigonza spring, was already known to the Romans, as indicated by remains of mosaics and tombs, and, mostly, by coins minted in Gades (Cádiz), found on the site.
The Muslims recognized the value of the springs and the fertility of the soil, naming the place The Valley of the Springs. After the Christian reconquest, the territory of Paterna was transferred to the Enríquez de Ribera, lords of Alcalá de los Gazules. Per Afán de Ribera initiated the establishment of a village in 1444. Francisco Enríquez de Ribera organized in 1503 a Municipal Council.
In the 19th century, the Fuente Santa and Gigonza springs attracted more and more visitors in the June-September season, which significantly increased the income of the villagers. The feria organized every year at the end of September contributed to the fame of local cattle-breeding (here, of fighting bulls).
The municipality of Paterna de Rivera was established in 1825, separating from Alcalá de los Gazules.
Ivan Sache, 30 March 2014
The flag of Paterna de Rivera, adopted on 11 August 1989 by the Municipal Council and validated on 14 June 1991 by the Royal Academy of History, is prescribed by Decree No. 189, adopted on 15 October 1991 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 3 December 1991 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 106, pp. 9,724-9,725 text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002. (text). The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, in proportions 2:3, horizontally divided in five stripes of equal height, yellow, green, yellow, green and yellow.
The flag is made of the dexter part of the municipal arms, with the number of green stripes reduced from three to two to prevent confustion with the flag of Bornos.
[Símbolos de Cadíz website]
The coat of arms of Paterna de Rivera is prescribed by Decree No. 1,064, adopted on 31 March 1966 by the Spanish Government and published on 26 April 1966 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 99, p. 4,999 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms, approved by the Royal Academy of History, is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or three fesses vert, 2. Gules a tower argent. The shield surmounted by a Ducal coronet.
The first quarter shows the arms of Ribera, once lords of Paterna. The second quarter represents the castle of Gigonza.
[Símbolos de Cadíz website]
The flag in use (photo, photo, photo) is charged in the middle with the municipal coat of arms, although this is not prescribed in the Decree. The coat of arms as repersented on the flags does not match the prescription, either, being shown as "Vert three fesses or".
Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 3 May 2014