Last modified: 2015-09-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: conil de la frontera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Conil de la Frontera, as seen on 17 November 2009 at the Town Hall and at the Tourist Office - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 December 2009
The municipality of Conil de la Frontera (22,116 inhabitants in 2013; 8,852 ha; municipal website) is located 40 km south-east of Cádiz.Ivan Sache, 1 December 2009
The (unofficial) flag of Conil de la Frontera is horizontally divided blueish green-white (1:2) with three light blue horizontal wavy stripes in the lower half of the white field. Upon the wavy stripes is placed in the middle the coat of arms, the shield being in the white stripe and the crown in the green stripe.
The coat of arms of Conil de la Frontera is "Per pale, 1. Gules a castle or masoned sable, 2. Azure a tuna argent per pale. The shield surmounted by a Duke's coronet".
Rodrigo Méndez Silva (Población General de España, 1675) claims that the village was founded by the ancient tribe of Turdulians. Igartuburu (Manual de Provincia de Cádiz, 1847) names Guzmán the Good as its founder, under the name of Torre de Guzmán. Igartuburu further says that the village was in antiquity well known all over Europe as Cymbilis, the Greek word for "a tuna", an allusion to the rich fishing places in that region.
Igartuburu writes that no coat of arms existed until at least 1847, but there is no information on its date of establishment. The dexter field shows the arms of Pérez de Guzmán the Good. As his arms are also part of other municipalities, for instance, Tarifa, a distinguishing mark was needed. This was found in the tuna, an allusion to the rich tuna fishing places. The coronet symbolizes the rule of the dukes of Medina Sidonia.
Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 1 December 2009