Last modified: 2014-12-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: mirueña de los infanzones | ávila |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Mirueña de los Infanzones - Image by Ivan Sache, 10 May 2011
The municipality of Mirueña de los Infanzones (125 inhabitants in 2010; 3,121 ha) is located in the northwest of Ávila Province, 40 km of Ávila.
Mirueña de los Infanzones was most probably named for its resettler, of northern origin (Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria, La Rioja or Navarra). A Juan de Mirueña was listed in the 15th century as belonging to a noble lineage from Mirueña; the relation of this man with the village is unknown, but the tradition says he was buried under an
altar of the parish church.
Mirueña was mentioned for the first time in 1250, as Miruenna, in the list of the possessions of the Church and Diocese of Ávila, made for Cardinal Gil Torres. On 2 May 1969, the municipal council applied for the restoration of the "traditional" name of Mirueña de los Infanzones, instead of the simpler form Mirueña. According to the memoir drafted by Amando Melón, "de los Infanzones" was dropped in 1785 from the village's name, for an unknown reason. A fortress, whose last remains were eventually suppressed in the 1960s, and a village's street named "de los Infanzones" were among the other reasons to apply for the "traditional" name, which was granted on 13 February 1970 by the Royal Academy of History. The name of Mirueña de los Infanzones can be compared to Ávila de los Caballeros (of the Knights). The Castilian Royal Census, dated 1591, lists five "hidalgos" (lower-rank nobles) in Mirueña; an "infanzon" was a "hidalgo" without lordship.
Ivan Sache, 10 May 2011
The flag and arms of Mirueña de los Infanzones are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 31 January 1994 by the Provincial Executive and published on 23 February 1994 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 37 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, with proportions 2:3, red with an orle compony white and red. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Shield in Spanish shape. Per fess, 1a. Gules two caldrons or per pale, 1b. Or a tower proper supported by two lions gules crowned and langued or ensigned with an eagle sable beaked gules, 2. Azure a church argent terraced proper. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
The municipal symbols were presented in November 1992 to the
Chronicler of Arms of Castilla y León.
The upper part of the shield represent the Herrera y Lariz family, after the tombstone of Pedro de Herrera (d. 1557), transferred in 1963 from the parish church to the facade of the town hall. The arms engraved on the tombstone are "Tierced per pale, 1. Two caldrons per pale [Herrera], 2. A tower supported by two lions rampant ensigned with an eagle [Lariz]". The tower also represents the local fortress suppressed in the 19th century.
The drawing of the flag, probably taken from the submitted proposal, shows the border made of 9 x 11 squares, therefore the flag proportions cannot be the prescribed 2:3.
Ivan Sache, 10 May 2011