Last modified: 2018-10-21 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: glostrup | hovedstaden | denmark |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Tomislav ipek, 28 April 2018
The flag of Glostrup is vertical with the name and shield.
Tomislav ipek, 28 April 2018
The municipality of Glostrup (22,151 inhabitants in 2014; 1,331 ha) is
located 10 km west of Copenhagen.
The arms of Glostrup were designed in 1937 by Grunddal Sjallung (1895-1976), from Heraldisk Institut. Commissioned by the municipality, the heraldist proposed different designs. The first draft showed a wall gable with a Gothic portal surrounded by three red roses. The gable recalls that Glostrup was a "main town"; the roses stands for the villages of Ejby, Hvissinge and Avedøre, once places of farming and horticulture. In the second draft, Glostrup was symbolized by a red or golden disc. Sjallung explained that the town was once known as Glo's Torp (Glo's Village), probably referring to an old world meaning "for a glow"; this etymology can be suggested, "with some good will", by a glowing ball or a sun. The disc was surrounded by three ? symbolizing the aforementioned villages. Both drafts were turned down by the Municipal Council. In a third draft, Sjallung kept the ball, recalling the genuine old name of the town, Globstorp (Globe's Village). The three villages were symbolized by fleurs-de-lis, since the roses featured in the earlier drafts had too much resemblance with bullets. The Municipal Council eventually adopted this design.
Ivan Sache, 16 May 2018