Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: coburg county | per pale | lozengy(white-blue) | barry | crancelin |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Black-yellow-green with the arms. The arms are from Bavaria and Saxony, because Coburg belonged to the Saxon-Thuringian duchy of
Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. When the other Thuringian territories united in 1920, the area around Coburg joined Bavaria after a popular vote.
Arms from Stadler 1964, p.24
Stefan Schwoon, 9 Feb 2001
Adopted 21 October 1982, according to Dirk Schönberger's Administrative Divisions of the World website. The coat of arms was approved on 23 July 1962 and confirmed on 23 May 1973. The county forms the heart of the former territory of Coburg. In 1353 it became a possession of the Princes of Saxony. The area belonged to Saxony, and later to Saxe-Coburg(-Gotha) until the late 19th century. After WW1 it became its own free state [republic] which was incorporated into
Bavaria in 1920. The arms thus show the arms of Saxony, barry of black and golden, superimposed by a green crancelin, in the sinister half and the lozenges of Bavaria in the dexter half.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.24
Santiago Dotor, 15 Nov 2001
According to Jens Hild the colours of the sheet are just a repetition of the colours of the sinister half of the coat of arms, displaying the arms of Saxony. Only incidently they match the Saxonian tricolour, which was introduced in 1813 but successively abolished between 1822 and 1830 and replaced by a white - green bicolour. This happened especially in Saxe-Coburg Gotha in 1830. Just Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach kept the original tricolour. Thus black - yellow - green had not been the perfect choice.
Source: email from Jens Hild, sent on 24 Mar 2014
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Apr 2014
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here