This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Coburg County (Bavaria, Germany)

Landkreis Coburg

Last modified: 2010-10-30 by jarig bakker
Keywords: landkreis coburg | coburg county | coat of arms (bavaria) | coat of arms (saxony) | coat of arms: per pale (lozengy) | coat of arms: per pale (barry) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Coburg County (Bavaria, Germany)] 5:2
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 23rd July 1962, flag adopted 21st October 1982


See also:


Description

Black-yellow-green with the arms. The arms are from Bavaria and Saxony: Coburg belonged to the Saxon-Thuringian duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. When the other Thuringian territories united in 1920, the area around Coburg joined Bavaria after a popular vote. Arms from Stadler 1964-1971.

Stefan Schwoon, 9 February 2001

Adopted 21.10.1982, according to Dirk Schönberger's Administrative Divisions of the World website. From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

The arms were granted on July 23, 1962 and confirmed on May 23, 1973. The district forms the heart of the former Territory of Coburg. In 1353 it became a possession of the Princes of Saxony. The area belonged to Saxony, and later to Saxe-Coburg(-Gotha) until the late 19th century. After the First World War it became its own free state [republic] which was incorporated into Bavaria in 1920. The arms thus show the arms of Saxony in the left part and the diamonds of Bavaria in the right part.

Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.

Santiago Dotor, 15 November 2001


Horizontal Variant

[Coburg County (Bavaria, Germany)] 3:5
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 23rd July 1962, flag adopted 21st October 1982