Last modified: 2014-03-17 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: bayreuth | farming tools | lion(black) | bordure | quartered(counterquartered) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Black over white, always with arms superimposed.
Dieter Linder, 18 Nov 1998
Black-white with the arms. Sources: flag from Staack 1997, arms from Stadler 1964-1971.
Stefan Schwoon, 6 Mar 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The two sticks in the arms are the original arms of the city. The sticks are farmer's tools and are named Reut in German, the arms are thus canting (two Reuten). The sticks are either shown single on the seals dating from the 15th century, or they are placed on the shield of the Hohenzollern family (quartered of black and silver), who ruled the area. The lions were added in 1457 and are the arms of the viscounts of Nuremberg. Albrecht Achilles of Nuremberg granted the city rights in 1457. The arms have been in use ever since.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 15 January 2002
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here