This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Yerevan (Municipality, Armenia)


Last modified: 2018-04-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: yerevan |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Yerevan - Image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 11 December 2004

See also:

Presentation of Yerevan

Yerevan (1,250,000 inhabitants), located at 1040 m a.s.l. near the border with Turkey, is the capital of Armenia. The town was already known in the 8th century BC as Erebuni, in the country of Urartu. The Armenians succeeded the Urartians around 600 BC. Yerevan remained a small, isolated fortress; when the Russians occupied the town in 1827, its population was 11,000, only half of them being Armenians. In 1913, the population reached only 30,000.
During the Soviet era, the population of Yerevan dramatically increased. Several agencies and organisms were located there; Yerevan became the political, administrative, cultural and industrial capital of the Armenian SSR. The town increased along the banks of river Razdan, the single emissary of Lake Sevan. The water of the river allowed irrigation of the dry lands of the suburbs of the town and electricity production, which boosted the economical development of the town.
[Encyclopaedia Universalis]

Ivan Sache, 16 April 2005

Flag of Yerevan

The Council of Yerevan Municipality approved today the flag and anthem of the Armenian capital Yerevan. Deputy Mayor Arman Sahakyan [...] said that the flag of Yerevan shows a white field with an image of a lion holding a scepter. The lion is surrounded with 12 small red triangles symbolizing 11 former and the current capital of Armenia. The flag shows the three colours of the Armenian national flag. The lion is on orange background with blue edging. The painter and designer Karapet Abrahamyan,, member of the Union of Painters and the Union of Designers of Armenia, author of the models of the Armenian coins, and the painter and designer Karapet Pashyan, Vice Chairman of the Union of Painters of Armenia, won the prize place in the contest.
Yerevan's flag and anthem will be presented on October 13 at the National Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet in the course of a solemn session of Yerevan Municipality on the occasion of the 2,786th anniversary of the town.[...].
[ ArmInfo news agency, 27 September 2004

Victor Lomantsov, 14 April 2005

The lion of the shield is believed to be a personal symbol of King of Ararat (Urartu) Argishti I. The image is based on the one from the restored frescoes from the Great Hall of the Royal palace within the complex of the fort of Erebuni (Arin-berd). Ruins of Erebuni fort are preserved to this day and are part of the Erebuni Museum in Yerevan. The monument to Argishti I was unveiled next to the entrance to this museum in 2002.
The lettering in the base of the shield says "Erevan", spelt in Armenian letters (ԵՐԵՎԱՆ, upper case; and Երեվան, lower case.)

Chrystian Kretowicz & António Martins, 12 December 2004

Former flag of Yerevan


Former flag of Yerevan - Image by Luc Baronian, 24 April 2005

The flag of Yerevan in reported use in summer 2001 was very similar to the current town flag adopted in 2004: white with the town arms, except that the arms are gold and there are no red triangles around the arms. Proportions are unknown.
Another four white flags wdere also reported, each with one of the four emblems on the quarters of the Armenian arms in black. Precise detail of the flags is lacking.

Luc Baronian, 24 April 2005


Yerevan State University


Flag of YSU - Image by Victor Lomantsov, 16 October 2006

The first university in Armenia was established by a Decree adopted on 4 May 1919 by the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Armenia. The Decree prescribed the organization of the four Faculties of History and Languages, Economy and Law, Medicine, and Physics and Mathematics (with technical subdivisions). The university was inaugurated on 31 January 1920i n the facilities of the Alexandrapol School of Commerce, in the presence of the Prime Minister and of the Minister of Culture and Education.

The flag of YSU is in proportions 1:2, blue, with a golden fringe and in the center the round, gold-coloured emblem of the university.
The emblem of YSU shows in center a sketch of the university central building, on top is Mt. Ararat, an opened book is placed below, and the torch in the left side symbolizes science. It bears the trilingual inscription (Armenian, Russian, English), "Yerevan State University, 1919".
[YSU website]

Valentin Poposki & Ivan Sache, 17 October 2017

Yerevan State Medical University


Flag of YSMU - Image by Ivan Sache, 17 October 2017

The Yerevan State Medical University (YSMU - Երեվանի Մխիթար Հերացու անվան Պետական Բժշկական Համալսարան) was formally established in 1930. On 25 May 1989, YSMU was named in honor of Mkhitar Heratsi (1110/1120-1200), the father of Armenian medicine and author of the Relief of Fevers encyclopedia (1184).

In late 1920, the Prime Minister ordered the establishment of a Faculty of Medicine. After the proclamation of the Soviet Socialist Republic of Armenia on 29 November 1920, the Revolutionary Committee decided on 3 November 1921 to found the Yerevan Medical School dedicated to the training of healthcare specialists and medical doctors. next to the municipal hospital of Yerevan. It was succeeded in March 1922 by the Medical Faculty.
YSMU (website) is composed of the Faculties of General Medicine, Public Health, Stomatology, Pharmacy, Military Medicine, and Postgraduate and Continuing Education.

The flag of YSMU (photo, photo) is white with the university's emblem in the center. The emblem features a profile portrait of the university's namesake, Mkhitar Heratsi,

Ivan Sache, 17 October 2017

National Library of Armenia

Quoting Armine Ghazarian, AZG - Armenia Daily (English translation), 20 November 2007:

[...] The flag of the library is orange and symbolizes the Armenian purple. The designer is Ervand Mkrtchian. The World is pictured on the flag; an open book is on it with the letters HAG (Armenian National Library).
The image has its explanation: the book unifies the peoples of the world [...]
Deputy Director Rafik Ghazarian presented the historical past of the library and mentioned that during its 175-year existence it is the third flag of the library.

Ivan Sache, 24 November 2007